Sunday, November 30, 2008

I Heart Malcolm Gladwell

Gladwell is one of the few writers who actually changes my paradigms about the world. Usually I find he has taken something I have thought about and then adds a dozen more things plus 100 times the depth. For example I have always thought intelligence (especially as measured by an IQ test) is way over rated and many more things are needed (like strong social skills) to achieve measurable success in life. Too often I see parents sacrifice all other aspects of a child's life in order to have success in a very meaningless factor. Gladewell takes that and expands it out. The other thing I love is he makes complex things simple.

I highly recommend Outliers: The Story of Success and every other book he has written. As a bonus he does have some of the best hair known to man!

No comments: