Tuesday, October 28, 2008

More of the Same

Having previously reviewed The Massacre at Mountain Meadows, I became more interested in the subject of seemingly good people who when in certain circumstances will do horrific things. The first thing that came to mind was the My Lai massacre during the Vietnam war on March 16, 1968. Luckily my library had an almost 40 year old book by Seymour Hersh called My Lai 4. The parallels to MMM are very clear. and all the elements that lead to such crimes were all present.
Memorial at My Lai


Again I would make it clear that we all have to be aware we are ALL capable of such things in a given situation. The only chance we have is to be aware of the situation and recognize it for what it is. The ability to step outside ourselves is crucial to preventing it. We can only do that if we are not so prideful and arrogant to think ourselves above it.

The one difference is My Lai, unlike MMM, did have one hero. Hugh Thompson was a helicopter pilot who recognized what was happening was wrong, and was brave enough to act on it by placing his craft between the people and the US troops. How do you think he felt as the years have gone by?

Hugh Thompson


Well worth the read for everyone.

No comments: