Friday, October 10, 2008

Meet Haruki


I keep up with about 3 dozen authors or so, reading all their works when I can. About 5 or 6 of them I read everything as soon as I can, my favorites. Haruki Murakami is among that latter group. When my relatives were living in Japan I started reading Japanese fiction, thus "discovering" him. The strange thing is Haruki has a very unique style and even though I intensely love his books, I find my self unable to say why. Haruki was a young bar/club owner in Tokyo area and was attending a baseball when he got the inspiration to write his first book. In What I Talk About When I Talk About Running he details the other life change that occured when he became a fulltime writer, he began running. This short memoir details the history of his significant running milestones and his life at those moments; all while he prepares to run the New York marathon again.



For his fiction I would reccommend starting with Norwegian Wood .

No comments: