Thursday, May 21, 2009

No One Is Blinder …

... than he who will not see.

Having read the Twilight books and seen the movie, I was puzzled by what was Stephanie Meyer’s true message. Mostly I hear from a lot of women about how it is like the greatest book ever. And it is really funny to see a popular blog (i.e. way more popular than mine) when they dare say anything negative about them. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed the books and felt the plot was interesting.

That said, I couldn’t shake the feeling something more sinister, more political was going on. Anyways, last week it finally dawned on me. The whole thing is subtle propaganda piece supporting proposition 8**. Let me list a few facts.

You have a bunch of Vampires proving to themselves and their wider Vampire community that they can be content and truly happy not living their true nature.

Vampires that give in to their true nature are vile and evil people to be hated.

When a true Vampire is killed we see it is Male and in a Ballet studio (thus accessing a subconscious stereotype people have about male dancers being gay).

Speaking of clichés, how do you suppress natural sexual urges, that’s right, you play Baseball.

The suggested gay couple in the book, Charlie & Billy (Bella and Jacob’s dads respectively), spend their together time doing what? Watching baseball. And do you notice how she puts forth Charlie as a lonely loser who couldn’t keep a woman happy so she left him for a Baseball Player! And poor Billy is shown to be defective (handicapped) thus not a real man either.

Finally, the main point people seem to make about the book is it is the most erotic and sexual book written, yet it’s completely sex free. There you have the main point, it is entirely possible for someone to deny who they truly are, have a completely intimate relationship but without having sex; it’s superfluous. All you need is baseball, not same sex marriage and you to can be completely happy. To be fair, I know a lot of people in allegedly heterosexual marriages that believe the same thing, that they do not need the sex to be happy together.

Remember, you read it on the internet so it must be true. I ask you, would I make stuff up just to because I amuse myself??

**NOTE: I realize that the book was published before prop 8, but I was using the prop 8 term generically to represent the escalation of the gay marriage debate in California. The turning point of the whole issue (at least for me) was Gavin Newsom sanctioning almost 4,000 marriages between February 12 and March 11, 2004.

3 comments:

WonderKitty said...

That is possibly one of the best things I have heard in a long time. I am sending people here to read this. Brilliant!

Unknown said...

Interesting....
I'm not sure about the dads, though.

Heather said...

talk about reading in between the lines! you could write a book about your theories.