Saturday, May 31, 2008

Home Gym - The Slosh Pipe

I am slowly building a home gym with state of the art equipment. After seeing an article by Dan John on my favorite lifting site, I decided to make a slosh pipe.

First get a 10 foot length of 4 inch PVC pipe.

Then you need two end caps. Mine are removable because that is important here for winter. I do have a picture of the other end cap, but trust me - it looks exactly the same.You cap one end and fill the pipe 2/3rds full of water. The you cap the other end. It weighs approximately 40 pounds, but because the water can move it is very unstable.

Here is Gunnar picking it up.
And here he is getting ready to tip over.
When you get a little stronger you can progress to walking with it, walking with it overhead, all the squat variations, overhead press, cleans, etc. It is very versatile, and surprisingly an extremely taxing workout. A total body workout for 30 bucks.

It is kept outside and the cold winter air will freeze the water, expand, and then crack the pipe. Hence I will drain it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You can actually try putting some wiper fluid or even salt in it so that it does not freeze. If you are looking for some more exercises I created a website called

http://www.SloshPipeTraining.com

Check it out!

Matt