Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Two Storytellers


I just finished A Prisoner of Birth by Jeffrey Archer. I really love his books because he puts together a good story. I figure if any of his novels were made into movies the special effects budget would be minimal. Anyways, this is a modern retelling of The Count of Monte Cristo , which is compelling due to the fact Mr. Archer himself spent several years in prison (for perjury). Great book, great writing.




The other book I read was An Ice Cold Grave by Charlaine Harris. I found the concept and the actual story fantastic, but her writing was a little to stilted for my taste. That and the sex was abrupt and seemed a little forced, and the whole is it incest or not seemed like it was only there for the sake of controversy. Anotherwords the story would be fine without it. Overall the books she writes are quite short (approximately 200 pages) and the actual book size was smaller than normal, making it a quick read. Given the strength of the story coupled with its size, I will be reading the rest of the series and her other books as well. ***She, the hero, was struck by lightning as a teen and can now sense dead bodies and what their last moments were like - not ghost, but rather the actual body resonates with her. Think missing person location.

No comments: