Monday, September 22, 2008

First Time This Has Been Done

I was teaching adult Sunday school and I successfully referenced this book with Helaman 13:38 in the Book of Mormon.

I was referring to the part that says "for ye have sought all the days of your lives for that which ye could not obtain; and ye have sought for happiness in doing iniquity". If you have ever read the above book it becomes quite clear Ms. Jameson is trying to prove that she did find happiness, but yet it doesn't take long to realize she didn't. Especially when you know shortly after the book came out her marriage that was so great and understanding fell apart. In the end I just felt sorry for her.

Now I did not use names and I did not mention specific iniquities, I just put it out that we as a people are generally trying to do the same thing, justifying our iniquities and protesting that we are indeed happy, when in truth we are not. I thought it quite good, but nevertheless i was immediately fired from the teaching job as soon as church was over.

Oh well***


***NOTE: before anybody gets up in arms (which I doubt) the firing and the lesson were not related - I have a new calling as of six weeks ago and was just helping out until the replacement could be found, but the juxtaposition was just to awesome to pass up.

No comments: