Friday, February 15, 2008

A Thousand Splendid Suns


This is Khaled Hosseini’s second work. His first was The Kite Runner and is also an excellent book. Once again we are back in Afghanistan just before all the wars and through modern times. In the Kite Runner the story focused on the relationship between two young boys, but now it is between two women. The book was very heavy and depressing, but extremely engaging and practically read it in one day. It reminds me of the Lovely Bones; a very sad tale that I could not put down.

Khaled’s strength is his ability to tale a love story that is not based on Romance. Through all the hardship and sacrifice, some things cannot be squashed or destroyed. The true love can weather a very hard path, and happiness is not without loss. As icing on the cake you can learn quite a bit about Afghani life, especially during the last 20 years.

2 comments:

Kris said...

Just finished the book a couple of weeks ago and LOVED it...especially the last page. Did you see the movie Kite Runner? Excellent!
Good to see you blogging again...

TStevens said...

I haven't seen The Kite Runner yet. As you can see from the other posts I am watching more high brow stuff :-) I will probably add it to my NetFlix cue to see.

The loss of Fred caused a bit more depression than I would have thought, but I have been getting back to normal as of late.