Sunday, July 13, 2008

Lost Culture - Shazbot

I was thinking about the kids at swimming lessons the other day and it reminded me about something that my friends and I would always try at least once every time we were in the water. We would always attempt to be like Patrick Duffy and swim like the Man from Atlantis. Kids never do that anymore.

It got me to thinking about what else we are losing unless steps are taken. Never do we see kids jumping off benches in mock slo-mo while making nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh sounds.**Little known fact, my dad and Steve Austin were both in the OSI.
Of course we never see kids trying to sit on their head, drink with there finger, or make a V with their fingers and shake hands while saying Nanu Nanu.
For all of you who grew up in England; kids don't buy the candy cigarettes and try to throw them into you mouth while saying "Sids not here". (Sadly I learned Kenny Everett died in 1995 while looking this up)

Please share anything else you can think of that the kids today are going to miss out on.

4 comments:

Shawn said...

This is an ugly can of worms to open. There are all kinds of opportunities to say how much better we had it as kids (I won't let my kids drink out of the hose; who knows where they've recylcled the rubber from) and make them wear helmets when on their bikes(but not while they are sledding . . . call my inconsistent). That being said, my kids have no idea how to use this, though because one hangs in my kitchen, they know exactly what it sounds like:
http://tinyurl.com/5nnxeh
Nor do they have a clue who Mr. Moose is, or why ping pong balls are to be feared:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=NeuBimBWU-8&feature=related

Strolling/stumbling back down memory lane has made it much to late to continue . . .

Unknown said...

I miss Mr. Green Jeans from Captain Kangaroo. Also Romper Room where she called out my name why looking though the glass in the TV. Black and White old horror shows. I love Dracula and Frankenstein and my kids do not have patiences for black and white grainy films.

Bike helmets are another can of worms. I feel if I do that then pretty soon we will be forced to wear one just to walk down the street. This is why I do not ride motorcycles, if I cannot have the wind in my hair why bother. Safety be damned. It is my one rebellion.

Heather said...

oh....this will also probably upset you, but forget the KIDS doing these things. I never did these things either! I don't know anything about those shows or the little things you did to copy them. we would copy dumb and dumber and full house. Maybe Randy knows what you are talking about though. sorry to burst your little bubble. I guess you have to be over 35 to understand.

TStevens said...

That is because your one of those weird Mormon teen brides. A mere child to us more mature siblings in law.