Friday, November 30, 2007

Self-Promoting Shallowness

After reading an article at T-Nation that compares various lifts with each other (i.e. if you bench X amount, you generally should be able to squat X) I came to the conclusion that I am pretty much balanced except for my deadlift. That is to say, my other lifts all compare pretty well with each other, but my deadlift is weak. In a dead you are basically pulling a weight up from the ground in the lift with your legs fashion. Now I only started doing deads about 8 months ago, and I started with 85 pounds which about killed me. So this morning I decided to test myself a little. I increased my PR to 250 pounds (from 235), and I probably could have done more (say 260-270). Compared to my other lifts I should be around 280, so I am not as far off as I thought. I have a few more weeks on my rest phase of 10 different movements at 1 set for 8-12 reps, and then I go back to my increase the weight phase. That will be fewer movements per work-out with multiple sets for about 5 reps apiece. My current goals are to get to a bodyweight bench of 250, which would correspond to a dead of about 450; and a squat of 320.

Here is a link to the article:

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do;jsessionid=B98E11907CC5EB3EAC03521C8B92BA41.hydra?id=1823834

2 comments:

Heather said...

Way to confuse me! I had no idea who tstevens was. I didn't know you even had a blog in the first place. Randy said he had heard of apples at the chapel, but I hadn't. Anyway, what is with tstevens anyway? and why is your blog called apples at the chapel? I am glad that you aren't some weirdo who found my blog.

I will add your link to my friends too.
p.s. you post pictures and stuff by clicking on the add picture button at the top of the writing space while you are writing your post. :)

Heather said...

If I can do fancy pictures, videos and slides, it really can't be that hard!